Document Actions

You are here: Home University Notifications about … Employees




Due to the rapid spread of the corona virus, many preventive measures are currently being taken which require constant updating. We have compiled important information for all University employees.



Which University buildings will still be open?

Persons who do not have official business or study matters at the University may only enter the University buildings for important reasons. The University buildings are closed to the public. To ensure controlled access, University buildings and facilities shall be kept closed as far as possible. Access to the building is now only possible either with UniCards (authorization level: 24-hour access) or keys. This also applies to all internal card readers. It cannot be ruled out that authorized persons may have a UniCard without the aforementioned authorization level. These persons are requested to obtain access via authorized colleagues until further notice and to contact us by email ( so that a UniCard adaptation process can be established. Unfortunately, we are unable to answer telephone calls or email inquiries until further notice.

What precautions should I take in case of a complete closure?

In view of the pandemic’s progressive course, a far-reaching restriction of operations and even a complete closure of the University is to be expected. You should therefore prepare yourself and your area of work in a concrete and timely manner to ensure that University areas/buildings or the entire University can be closed down completely at any time and/or that people cannot return to work due to quarantine measures.

Please identify - if not already done - essential processes and, if applicable, critical infrastructure (research, laboratory results, data, etc.) in your areas that require timely securing and permanent care. Please urgently clarify internally who is responsible for these areas and who can take over the second and, if necessary, the third-party care in case of loss of personnel (illness, quarantine, etc.). It is recommended to create telephone lists in the facilities.

Essential work equipment and documents, especially notebooks and mobile phones, should be taken home as far as possible. Also remember important personal items (keys, glasses, papers, private mobile phone, medication, etc.).

Persons who have to carry out a system-relevant task essential for operations are granted official access authorization for closed buildings. This is signed by the head of the administration (chancellor) or the respective divisional manager/supervisor and is valid in conjunction with a valid UniCard, identity card and official seal. The authorization, the UniCard and the badge must always be carried on your person. Please make a list of the persons who have received such authorization. The basic building services is ensured by Department 4 within the scope of reduced operations.

The basic supply of the buildings is ensured by Department 4 within the scope of reduced operation.

What rules apply to working from home (home office)?

Home office is granted as far as possible, pragmatically, employee-friendly and flexibly by the respective superiors of the divisions. Until further notice, no approval of Home Office by the Human Resources Department is required; it is sufficient for the superior to inform the Human Resources Department informally by e-mail about the granting of Home Office. Those affected from risk groups should preferably be granted mobile or home-based work opportunities. The necessary equipment and access to the University network must be ensured.

For work in the home office, the general regulations continue to apply. Due to the extraordinary circumstances, the working hours applicable to the employee(s) will be booked in the time recording system ZEUS, provided that employees do not report overtime or reduced working hours. To simplify matters, notifications of overtime or reduced working hours in relation to the entire working week should be sent to the respective time recording office; no proof is required for individual days. The Rectorate, in consultation with the Staff Council, shall endeavor to facilitate largely flexible working hours under these extraordinary circumstances.

The availability of teleworkers during teleworking/home work must be clearly regulated and ensured in consultation with the supervisor(s). For this purpose, technical aids such as the conversion of the office telephone to the private telephone should be used if necessary. The employee is obliged to comply with the applicable data protection and data security regulations.

Employees who work from home are also protected by statutory accident insurance when working at home.

How should I organize operations in my area to ensure the best possible protection for employees?

In each area, independently operating teams are to be formed if home office is not possible. The members of these different teams should not have direct contact with each other, not even during breaks or in private. Handover and team-wide meetings are to be held by telephone or other electronic means. Coordinate with colleagues from other areas to be able to support each other if necessary.

Meetings should be switched to video or telephone conferences or similar. In general, a maximum of three people may be in a room at any one time. This applies to all rooms, as well as to laboratories, workshops, etc.

Are the University day care centers still open?

All University day-care centers and the day-care center “Wolkengarten” have been closed since Tuesday, March 17, 2020 and will remain closed until at least April 19, 2020.

What rules apply if I have to look after children at home?

For parents who are unable to carry out their duties at work, or only to a limited extent, because they have to fulfil their care obligations after schools and day-care centers have closed down and who have no alternative care options, the following applies:

Employees who look after one or more children up to the age of 12 or children who are permanently in need of care due to a physical, mental or psychological disability, and for whom a home office cannot be provided because of their work, will be released in full or in part from work for the period of absence from service/work up to and including April 19, 2020 in consultation with their supervisor, with continued payment, provided that there are no official reasons to the contrary.

On request, the supervisor must be provided with credible evidence of the lack of care facilities. It must also be checked whether teleworking or mobile work can be carried out at least partially (despite supervision), and whether it is possible to compensate for working hours.

The supervisor must inform the responsible personnel administrator by e-mail whether this support can be granted.

Are the University counseling services still available?

The psychosocial counseling service, which all employees of the University can use free of charge in crises and/or conflict situations, as well as the Addiction Clinic can still be reached. The counseling services have been changed strictly to a telephone service.

Can orders also be sent to the Finance Department by e-mail?

Due to the current corona crisis, the Ministry of Finance (MWK decree from March 17, 2020) has decided, in order to facilitate the implementation of short-term organizational measures (e.g. use of home office), that it is sufficient to document the exercised budgetary responsibilities (factual and arithmetical correctness, authority to issue orders) by e-mail correspondence in order to meet the formal requirements, especially with regard to the two-man rule principle.
Detailed service article on the implementation of this procedure [de]

How do I reach the Finance Department?

Functional e-mail addresses will also be accessible during reduced University operations. Representation will be organized in such a way that at least one person from the second or third management level is on site every day.

The business transactions are scanned in the D2 and (if possible) digitally processed. You can support this by sending internal documents, if possible already in digital form, to the appropriate departments. Documents that require a physical signature and must be archived in an audit-proof manner (e.g. invoices) should continue to be sent to the finance department in their original form.

If you send documents to the D2 more than once (e.g. once digitally, once on paper), we ask you to mark this on the documents in any case. Given the improvised processes, it is important to maintain a regulated processing of transactions. In case of doubt, this is more important than the avoidance of possible cash discount losses or reminder fees.

How do I reach the Personnel Department?  

Contact to the business area travel cost center is currently only possible by e-mail. There may be delays in accounting. Please refrain from personal queries.

In the business areas of civil servants, employees covered by collective agreements and scientific/student staff, we will be happy to assist you. In the divisions civil servants, employees working under collective wage agreements and academic assistants, the Personnel Department is committed to processing P6/P166 applications submitted by April 1, 2020 and other personnel cases submitted to the Personnel Department on that date in a timely manner. It can be assumed that the applications/personnel cases submitted by March 16, 2020 will be completed in any case. We also aim to process applications received after March 16, 2020 in a timely manner, insofar as this is possible under the given circumstances

The respective superiors must ensure that no work is done without an employment contract signed by the Personnel Department. Any legal consequences shall be borne by the institution that initiated the commencement of work without a contract.

How do I reach the Department of Environmental Protection?

The Department of Environmental Protection strives to continue to offer daily opening hours, regardless of further restrictions on University operations. All facilities in emergency or quarantine operation are requested to carry out all necessary waste disposal operations or to prepare them accordingly before closing or reducing operations. This includes hazardous materials, hazardous waste, but also perishable items such as food and residual waste. Please promptly contact the department. If your area has to be closed on short notice, please contact the department immediately.

How will procurement work?

Requests of the ZUV are to be sent digitally by e-mail to the contact persons of the Central Procurement Department with immediate effect. If the signature of the authorized person / supervisor cannot be noted on the form, the approval for the procurement must be obtained from the authorized person / supervisor by e-mail and sent to the Central Procurement Department.

For procurements of 5,000 euros (net) or more, all documents relevant to the award procedures (bill of quantities, signed procurement application and, if applicable, explanations) must also be sent to the staff of Central Procurement by e-mail as before.

Whom do I contact about my UniCard?

The UniCard office for employees (location Fahnenbergplatz) has been closed since March 17, 2020  until further notice. Please clarify questions and problems with the respective personnel administrator by phone or e-mail. In case of loss or extension of the validity of the UniCard, please use the postal service, Personnel Department - UniCard Team.