With our hygiene regulations, we want to react appropriately to the development of the infection. Our primary goal is to protect the health of all University members as best we can and to make our contribution to contain the infection. We have compiled important information for you concerning study and teaching.
- The University of Freiburg statute for managing the effects of the corona pandemic on studies and teaching (Corona Statute – in German) from May 2nd, 2022
- SARS-CoV-2 University hygiene regulations
- Continuation of the mask mandate (currently until May 27, 2022)
- Further regulations for the summer semester 2022 and the winter semester 2021/22 can be found below.
- The Student Service Center is open again for university members (https://www.studium.uni-freiburg.de/en/current-corona-info-from-the-scs?set_language=en).
The hotline of the Student Service Center can answer questions about your studies by e-mail and telephone and will give you the names of the necessary contact persons:
Tel: 0761 203-4246
Mo – Thurs: 9am – 4:30pm; Fri: 9am – 12pm
- Get help and strengthen your (mental) health:
- Student Health Management at the University (German only)
Please refer to the information provided under “General rules of conduct“.
Students have no obligation to inform the University.
As an employee of the university, please inform your office (i.e. your supervisor, the coordination office (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the responsible personnel department (InfoD3@zv.uni-freiburg.de)) immediately so that necessary protective measures can be taken for the other employees.
- Send the student home immediately.
- Tell the student to contact his or her doctor.
- In the case of a suspected case of student infection, it is the sole responsibility of the public health department to follow up the contacts and inform those affected.
- There is no obligation for students to inform the University.
Lectures in summer semester 2022
- Teaching will take place primarily in a classroom setting.
- Rooms can be 100% occupied.
(We ask you to refrain from reserving large rooms to allow for space, as this would be at the expense of other events for which the large room would be intended).
- Observance and communication of hygiene and ventilation rules (esp. mask requirement*).
- No 3G checks
- No contact data collection
- We are aware that in the case of a fifth wave, teaching will again have to be partially or fully converted to digital teaching/distance learning.
Measures relating to the hygiene regulations apply.
Teaching and practical courses held in the facilities of the Medical Center – University of Freiburg are subject to the current requirements of the hospital, with different access regulations where applicable
*Further information on the mask requirement:
For study purposes, at student study spaces and at events of any kind, there is a general obligation to wear an FFP2 mask or a medical mask in enclosed spaces. This regulation will remain in effect until May 27, 2022 and also applies to on-site examinations and in-person consultations.
No mask mandate applies in the following cases:
- during examinations, even if a minimum distance of 1.5 meters from other persons cannot be maintained;
- when giving a lecture; in this case, the position of the lecturer in the room must be organized in such a way that a minimum distance of 1.5 meters from other persons can be safely maintained throughout; and
- during sports activities, eating and drinking, for identification purposes, and for similarly weighty and unavoidable reasons in which it is unreasonable or impossible to wear a mask in individual cases.
Commonly used rooms, including seminar rooms and lecture halls, must be ventilated at least every 20 minutes and sufficiently via wide open windows for at least 3 minutes. Clothing must be adapted as necessary.
This also applies to rooms that only have a stationary air circulation system or equipment. These cool or warm the indoor air, but there is no exchange with fresh air.
In rooms that have a technical supply and exhaust air system, no additional individual ventilation is usually required. If you have any questions about the existing ventilation systems, please contact Department 4. Rooms in which additional manual ventilation by opening the windows is indispensable are marked accordingly at the entrance.
- For all other entering students, whether German or international, whether for a move or after a (weekend) vacation, the current entry and quarantine rules apply (see also this website for travellers by the Federal Ministry of Health). Usually exceptions apply to commuting students and staff.
- International students (and researchers) might not receive an entry visa to Germany unless it is confirmed that their studies or research stay includes elements of classroom attendance. The forms (German and English) for students entering Germany can be found below.
Examination and study achievements
Students who are unable to take an examination, e.g. due to an obligation to sequester, should make use of their right to withdraw from the examination. If necessary, it may also be advisable to submit a request for a deviation from the specified type of examination. The Corona Statute makes special provisions for such requests, as well as for facilitating withdrawal from examinations. If requests are made for approval of an examination withdrawal, they must be submitted to the appropriate office without delay and with appropriate supporting documentation, in accordance with the regulations in the study and examination regulations.
The amendment to the Corona bylaws scheduled for the January 26, 2022 Senate meeting is intended to extend the following expanded options until September 30, 2022: Deviations from the specified examination type, facilitation for deregistration from examinations, extension of examination deadlines, and continued use of free attempt regulations for examinations for the 2021/2022 winter semester.
We kindly ask you, dear students, to inform yourself at your respective examination office about the relevant examination regulations that apply to your particular course of studies.
According to the University’s hygiene regulations, the University of Freiburg has a ban on entry and participation for persons, among others,
1. who are subject to a mandatory sequestering requirement in connection with the coronavirus, or
2. who exhibit typical symptoms of infection with coronavirus, namely shortness of breath, new-onset cough, fever, impaired sense of smell or taste.
If, for the above-mentioned reasons, you are unable to attend courses for which attendance is compulsory as stipulated in the study and examination regulations or in the module description, please contact the office responsible in accordance with the regulations of the study and examination regulations immediately for any possibilities of compensation and indemnification.
Yes, digital solutions can be used for each type of oral examination.
Online exams are all exams in which the examinee and examiner are not in the same room, but communicate electronically. The Corona Statutes provide for the possibility of connecting the examinee from home (see § 3 Corona Statutes) and from within the University (see § 4 Corona Statutes).
For planning and implementation, please refer to the fact sheets and application forms of the Legal Department under “Fact sheets and applications”.
Information page of the E-Learning Department: https://ilias.uni-freiburg.de/goto.php?target=wiki_wpage_18147.
Please note that, in principle, there is no legal entitlement to the use of electronic information and communication technologies for coursework and examination purposes.
Yes, this is possible in compliance with hygiene regulations and 3G verification. Applications to the University administration are not required.
Regulations on online examinations were included in the Baden-Württemberg Higher Education Act at the end of 2020 and have been integrated into the University’s corona statute. Special requirements apply to online examinations under video supervision.
The e-learning department of the University’s IT Services, the teaching task force and the data protection officer informed all interested teachers and staff about the technical and legal aspects in an online information event . The event has been recorded and can be accessed on the learning platform ILIAS.
Yes, this is possible in compliance with hygiene regulations and 3G verification. Applications to the University administration are not required.
Yes. Please note the new options and regulations as set out in the University’s corona statute.
Standard regulations (as of: 04/24/2020):
Insofar as stipulated in the applicable examination regulations, it is already possible to deviate from the type of examination or the examination format stipulated in the respective subject-specific regulations.
Reference can be made here to § 14 paragraph 3 B.Sc. regulations as an example. “Deviations from the type of examination specified in the relevant subject-specific provisions in Annex B to these examination regulations or the examination format provided therein shall only be permitted if, due to a circumstance for which the examiner is not responsible and the consequences of which cannot be compensated for in any other way, the examination in the form provided would not be suitable or would be disproportionate to the effort required. The decision as to whether and in what form the examination may be carried out instead shall be made by the Special Examination Committee upon application to be made by the examiner without delay. The professional requirements of the examination performance must be observed. If the subject examination board approves the application, the students shall be informed immediately. Students who have already been admitted to the examination at the time of the decision of the subject examination board may withdraw from the examination upon application.” (non-binding courtesy translation)
The module manuals must be modified accordingly.
In addition, on April 17, 2020, the University of Freiburg adopted a supplementary and temporary ‘Corona Statute’ that regulates the courses of study and teaching for the 2020 summer semester.
Filing at the University of Freiburg is not done electronically, so that the evaluated Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis has to be submitted in paper form for the examination file.
Yes, see LHG, §32 Section 5a, Clause 1:
“For students who are or were enrolled in a degree program in the 2020 summer semester, the 2020/2021 winter semester, 2021 summer semester, or the 2021/2022winter semester, the deadlines for the completion of subject-specific course and examination credits shall be extended for each of these semesters by one semester, for a total of no more than three semesters.”
If you have any questions, please contact your examination office.
Matriculations, de-registrations and leave of absence are currently not carried out in person on site, but by post. All information can be found on the website of the Student Service Center: https://www.studium.uni-freiburg.de/en/current-corona-info-from-the-scs?set_language=en
Yes, this is possible in compliance with hygiene regulations. Applications to the University administration are not required.
Students who can be admitted provisionally. The regulations can be found in § 45 and §46 of the Corona Statutes.
If you have any questions regarding admission, please contact the relevant department.
Individual research internships, research-relevant theses, research traineeships and other work or internships in which students are integrated in a working group are permitted, subject to the provisions of the hygiene regulations.
The Federal Ministry of Education has clarified by decree that BAföG funding will continue to be granted to the same extent as before and that you will not suffer any disadvantages with regard to the duration of funding.
For students who are enrolled in a degree program in the summer semester 2020, in the winter semester 2020/2021 or in the summer semester 2021 and have not yet reached the maximum funding duration, an individual standard period of study extended by one semester applies for each of these semesters. These students can thus receive a BAföG grant for a correspondingly longer period of time if the personal eligibility requirements continue to apply (see LHG §29 section 3a).
An individual standard period of study extended by one semester also applies for the 2021/22 winter semester.
For questions in individual cases, please contact the responsible BAföG offices.
Get in touch with the Studierendenwerk to use the available possibilities for financial aid, job placement, contact to further contact persons: https://www.swfr.de/geld/corona-nothilfe/, https://www.swfr.de, under the headings “Geld” (money) and “Beratung und Soziales” (counselling and social services) as well as https://www.unicross.uni-freiburg.de/2020/06/finanzielle-hilfen-fuer-studierende/.
Due to increased home office activity, capacity bottlenecks currently occur when using VPN. Therefore the computer center is asking that you use it sparingly. In addition, a new VPN client is available for Windows users.
By the way, for some applications you do not need to be connected to the VPN, e.g. to work on publicly accessible web platforms such as ILIAS, HISinOne, Adobe Connect, video server.
- Information according to Art. 13/14 EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the use of the video conferencing system ZOOM at the University of Freiburg – as of: 04/23/2021
- Information on the processing of personal data for conducting online examinations under video supervision (§ 32 LHG, Art. 13 GDPR) – as of: 04/04/2022
- Instruction sheet for the conduct of oral examinations in video conference format outside the University or other institutions – as of: 05/07/2020– (Note: 12/23/2021 – this document is no longer necessary)
- Declaration on the independent performance of an oral examination in a video conference examination – as of: 05/07/2020
- Nur für lehramtsbezogene Staatsprüfungen als Teil-Videokonferenz: Zustimmung zur Durchführung einer mündlichen Prüfung in Form einer Teil-Videokonferenz (will be handed out by the Landeslehrerprüfungsamt) – as of 02/10/2021
- General SARS-CoV-2 hygiene regulations from the University of Freiburg
- Confirmation of the necessity to be present in Germany for the purpose of studies/doctoral studies (§ 16b Residence Act): winter semester 2021/22 German / English, winter semester 2021/22 German / English – as of: 05/16/2021
- Bescheinigung über die Teilnahme an unaufschiebbarer akademischer Ausbildung (German only; i.e. in the case of curfews at night) – As of: 01/29/2021
- Merkblatt für Studierende für Online-Prüfungen unter Videoaufsicht mit Zoom– As of 02/16/2022 (German only)
- Proof of identity for online examinations under video supervision – As of 04/04/2022
- Application form „Deviation from the specific examination type at the request of the student in Bachelor’s, Master’s, Magister and teaching degree programs” – As of 04/04/2022
- Antragsformular „Abweichung von der vorgegebenen Prüfungsart auf Antrag der/des Studierenden in den Studiengängen Humanmedizin und Zahnmedizin“ – As of 02/16/2022 (German only)
- Antragsformular „Abweichung von der vorgegebenen Prüfungsart auf Antrag der/des Studierenden im Staatsexamensstudiengang Pharmazie“ – As of 02/16/2022 (German only)
- Antragsformular „Abweichung von der vorgegebenen Prüfungsart auf Antrag der/des Studierenden im Studiengang Rechtswissenschaft“ – As of 02/16/2022 (German only)
As of May 13, 2022. This Website is constantly being updated.