- Forests and Climate Change
- Vulnerability and Risk Assessment
- Ecosystem Function and Assessment
- Forest resistance, adaption, and transformation
- Drought stress, forest fire, biotic disturbances
- Brown, C., & Rounsevell, M. (2021). How can social–ecological system models simulate the emergence of social–ecological crises?. People and Nature, 3(1), 88-103.
- Forzieri, G., Girardello, M., Ceccherini, G., Spinoni, J., Feyen, L., Hartmann, H., … & Cescatti, A. (2021). Emergent vulnerability to climate-driven disturbances in European forests. Nature communications, 12(1), 1081.
- Lindner, M., Maroschek, M., Netherer, S., Kremer, A., Barbati, A., Garcia-Gonzalo, J., … & Marchetti, M. (2010). Climate change impacts, adaptive capacity, and vulnerability of European forest ecosystems. Forest ecology and management, 259(4), 698-709.
What I am looking for in a prospective Rising Star
The participant will conduct joint research with me or several professors of the initiative Future Forest on topics related to climate change impacts on forests. Specifically, we aim to develop a review paper on vulnerability assessments of forest ecosystems. This study should in particular include risks to the provision of a variety of ecosystem services, and address both forest stand and landscape resistance, resilience and adaptive capacity. The Future Forest initiative aims to investigate adaption strategies in an uncertain future and will develop methods that facilitate the research on socio-ecological forest systems. Thus, ideally, the Rising Star has a background in forest ecosystems and disturbance ecology and also some experience in socio-ecological system research or related topics.