The Research Board (RB) was established in 2019 as an independent, advisory commission of the Rectorate. As an expert body, it has the task of advising the Rectorate on research issues. In doing so, the members of the Research Board always have the long-term development of the entire university in mind.
In particular, their responsibilities include the following:
- monitoring the development of the university’s overall research profile,
- recommendations regarding external and university research funding instruments
- recommendations on the submission of applications in competitive procedures requiring a pre-selection by the Rectorate,
- participation in the evaluation of the research centers.
Its members are appointed by the Rectorate for a term of three years. They may be reappointed.
The Research Board is composed of the following members:
- one representative each from the subject areas natural sciences, life sciences, engineering sciences, humanities and social sciences,
- one representative from the field of medicine, and
- one representative of early-career researchers.
- The rector and the vice president for research and innovation are ex officio members.
The Research Board may call in additional experts to deliberate on special issues.
The chair of the Board is governed by the rules of procedure of the Rectorate of the University of Freiburg in their currently valid version. The head office is located in the office of the vice president for research and innovation and is supervised by Birgit Jassmann.